Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2009 X-Walking!

FG & YH had a ball early 2009 morning with magnificent catches of Toman, Peacock Bass & a Saratoga on X-Walk. Boy, I wished I was with them! 

Here's a quickie report from FG:

The year 2008 ended and oh yes, the New Year 2009 started very well too! Upon reaching our fishing spot, we went casting to the likely spots. The surface action is very encouraging, with many rises and splashes. I was using the X Rap Walk, Gold Olive colour. After casting a few times, a huge take exploded near the lure without hookup, as I wind, the second take exploded and again no hookup. 

I think the Toman needed a pair of reading glasses...

Just I was about to give up, the 3rd take exploded and oh yes, this time the fish did not miss the lure. I have a Conquest 100 with 10lb drag and OMG, this fish really can pull. YH is right about these toman in this part of water, they pull harder than the rest of the places we fish. 

As I move to the side, little that I realized that there was a underwater tree branch and the fish manage to hook itself there and alas, I lost the fish sigh… We then continue casting and YH was rewarded with a few small Toman around the 1-2kg range. I landed a similar size on the X Rap Walk and very happy that finally I have some decent results after a not so fruitful 2008. The fishing ended with both of us enjoying half boil eggs and a bowl of wonderful dry prawn noodles.

On the second day of 2009, YH and I visited another likely spot. Unlike the previous day, there were no surface actions and everything seem still. As I cast an X Rap Walk, clown colour near a tree branch, there was a gentle take and follow by spectacular jumps. My heart jumped every time the fish jumped and I had some idea what the fish was and I have to take it slowly as the fish was renowned for throwing hooks. Finally I landed the fish, a 5lb greenback Saratoga or arowana! A very rare catch! 

YH landed a peacock bass who had the guts to take the X Rap Walk, Silver Blue. He was using his new toy, a red Ferrari - what a beauty.

D1: Doesnt that make you green with envy? ;)




2 comments:

  1. "...I think the Toman needed a pair of reading glasses..."

    Hello! I have been following your blog - and that comment about reading glasses REALLY TOPS it all! I am an avid amateur and out of all possible take ups, at least 60% to 70% are "glasses" lost. Are tomans really that bad? tsk..tsk.. :)

    Waiting to hear from you. Thanks! Fresh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet they need glasses! In fact, might as well go LASIK since its already the 21st century! :) But this is a common occurrence when you use topwater lures.

    But all in all, it's the "explosion" on the water that makes us come back for more, right? Beats a quiet session anytime :) Happy fishing!!

    ReplyDelete