Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Bluefox Herring Story - Part 1

Flashback to 2005... 

Light jigging had taken off for a while but I was just catching up with my own fun of light tackle jigging. Back then, light tackle meant rods of PE1-3, which is considered medium tackle these days for the kind of fish we used to target. These days, we've got PE0.8-2 and even less! 

I remember vividly the day when SL passed me a few pieces of BlueFox Herring in the 50 & 75gram range to try. At that time, we had just found a nice patch that was consistently producing Threadfin (Senangin) by bottom fishing. And with the 'introduction' to BlueFox Herrings, we eventually left the bait box at home! Word quickly spread around the local fishos as they scored their own catches on it and pretty soon (with the help of mags), BlueFoxes were seen in most jiggers' tackleboxes on little part of the country. Ever since, its also been my faithful companion in my jigging trips, producing all sorts of species.

In my opinion, the winning formula to a killer jig (or lure for that matter) that sells is:

1. It's gotta work!
2. It's gotta look good
3. It's gotta be affordable

Get all 3 in alignment and you've got a lure that not only is a hot cake in the market but also will eventually market itself as more and more folks use it and talk about it. I'm not sure how much the Herring currently sells for but back about a year ago it was hovering around RM8-10 a piece? Compare that with the more generic brands out there that costs around RM20-30 for a piece of lead. Doesn't take a mathematician to tell you which one you'd pick if you're a cheapskate like me. I mean, again the principles 1-3 above, if its catches you fish consistently, why pay more for something else?

As I muse and pen down my thoughts this early Saturday morning, I suddenly relish the feeling of jigging for Threadfin again... it's been close to 2 years since. Lets see if we can get back into some Threadfin action this December.   







No comments:

Post a Comment