Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pink Toys for the Big Boys

There were splashes everywhere. Left, right, center and every now and then you would see a slightly luminous shape dart in and out of the shadows cast by the dim fluorescent lighting from the boat to the water, scattering groups of terrified little fish that took refuge under the boat. Occasionally, the explosion of water could be heard in the far distance - sometimes just mere feet away from us. 

Witching hour.

Out came the 6-12lb, 6ft outfit, nicely matched to the cute Rapala SM2500 with 10lb line. Which shall be my lucky lure? 

"Eeeny meeny miney mo. Skitter Walk, Skitter Pop or Chug Bug should I throw?"

I chose neither. I thought I'd try luring instead. Since some of the guys in front were popping anyway, I'd rather try something unconventional for the Big Eyes. It should be nice to try out the Storm Mid Thunder in luminous green and pink. So Pink I chose. Nice hot pinkish Mid Thunder. Oh la la!

First thing to do, "charge up" the luminous lure next to the fluorescent lamp by the boat. 10 secs on each side produced a nice green luminous glow. The fish are in trouble now! 

"Pfffzzzzzttttttt................ plop!" Okay, the lure's cast out. Lets start winding in - FAST!

Honestly I was hoping for a massive take on the first cast. Second. Third. Fourth. Still no hit! Strange. Fifth. Sixth cast. Still nothing. Okay, I'm gonna retire this lure for good. Probably the lure's pink colour was too hot to handle. 

BANG!!!!!!!! I had a massive take that almost yanked the rod off my hands. Little SM2500 squealed in delight as line spewed out from the spool. It was as if Hamilton was on the other end! It took a few runs before tiring out and there it was - a nice Big Eye Trevally!  On light tackle, it was enough to make me wet my pants from all that excitement. After some foetoe snaps, back it went into the water - released. 

The boys were utterly fascinated with this pink lipstick-ish toy with hooks and took turns to play with it, landing fish after fish after fish after fish.....and after fish! You can tell from Akashah's face that he was in Cloud 9. 

I figured that the first few casts did not yield probably because the luminosity was too bright and might have appeared unnatural to the Big Eyes. After it faded a bit over several casts, a little ghostly glow was what it took to make them irresistible yum-yums. Food for thought....?


Pink Toy for Big Boys


You HOT Pink Thing! (Not you Wayne!)
 

Which one is yummier? The lure to the fish or the rod to the angler?


Akashah in "high"




The smile says it all

No comments:

Post a Comment